We are discussing here A brand guru said that it takes years of diligence to create a brand but only one moment of madness to kill it. The Satyam case may be a live example of this adage.
Late July 1996 I got a turn a Saturday morning from one among the most important headhunting companies within the country asking me whether I wanted a change of job. Their Hyderabad manager wouldn’t tell me the name of the client company as he was afraid I might refuse the prospect on the phone itself because the company was small and comparatively unknown compared to the one I used to be working in.
Compared to the one I used to be working in
However, I did attend to meet him and that I was rather disappointed when he told me the corporate ‘s name though the company was Hyderabad based and that I was within the same city, too. He persuaded me to a minimum of meet the corporate management. an equivalent afternoon I met Ramalinga Raju, Chairman, Satyam Computer Services. I had no clue what the corporate did because it wasn’t even in my radar being more from the engineering and automotive industry.
The meeting with Raju lasted quite an hour and was very pleasant. He found as a mild person and really polite. Very soon I got a suggestion for an appointment from Satyam. My wife mentioned a couple of people in Bangalore within the IT field before I accepted it. Of course, the financial offer was very attractive, too How I Built The Satyam Brand.
Anything like that within the past
I joined Satyam as head of corporate communications on August 16. The next day I got a call from Economic Times asking me for a discuss a story that they were running a few check bouncing case against Satyam. This troubled me as I had never experienced anything like that within the past. I just mumbled that there was no truth therein story.
About ten days later we had to print some invitation cards for inaugurating our fresh technology center. It surprised me when the printer asked me for 100% advance. He was an equivalent printer who wont to give my earlier company thirty days credit without questions. I started to stress whether I had made a serious error of judgment in joining Satyam. I now remembered that a number of my friends in Hyderabad expressed surprise once I told them that I used to be leaving the number one multi-national company to hitch Satyam.
Anyway, it had been too late to try to anything about it. And in 1996 driving a fresh Maruti Suzuki Esteem around Hyderabad was a balm on a hurt ego. I put all negative thoughts aside and decided I might carve a positive role for myself and do what was right for the corporate. How I Built The Satyam Brand.
The Company Negatives:
1) Nobody knew who ran the corporate, including investors. This was surprising as Raju was within the office regularly from 9 am to 9 pm.
2) the general public and investors still associated the name Satyam with construction and textile spinning and not IT.
4) Satyam was still perceived as a little Hyderabad based company.
5) within the Dataquest ranking of Indian IT companies, Satyam stood a lowly 13.
6) Publications were reluctant to interview Raju as he wasn’t really forthcoming with comments or together with his plans for the corporate. Further, his speaking style at that point wasn’t very fluent. The face of the corporate at that point was the top of sales & marketing.
7) People perceived Satyam more as a body shopping company than a significant IT player (this was actually an unfair charge as at that point most Indian IT companies were actually just that). How I Built The Satyam Brand.
The Company Positives:
1. the corporate made profits
2. The client list was quite impressive
3. The working ambiance was friendly
4. The urge to grow was there
5. Raju gave tons of freedom to the senior staff (though this itself created fiefdoms)
1. In my career, till then I had never handled the editorial or journalism. I used to be always in advertising, marketing, and advertisement.
2. PR was something absolutely new to me. during away, I had joined Satyam under false pretenses, because when Raju asked me at my interview whether I knew anyone within the media the sole name I could tell him was that of an honest friend who handled the advertising function for the most important media group in AP.
How I Built The Satyam Brand
I found that the Bangalore based advertising and PR agency handling the Satyam account wasn’t really contributing much though they charged a high fee. We sacked them and through a knowledgeable selection process appointed one among the highest advertising agencies within the country to handle our paid communication business. the primary collaboration effort was to bring out the company identity manual, called the Satyam Covenant. This was to form sure that each one corporate branding effort across the planet would be cohesive.
Knowing that an ad agency is usually not clued into PR, I made a decision to handle the media myself rather than incurring further expenditure in hiring a PR agency. My first effort was a disaster.